The Solution to Reading Comprehension
Lessons & Units
Sequence 4th Grade Unit
Lesson 1 Sequence of a Story within a Story Identify flashbacks within a story.
Lesson 2 Chronological Order of Events in a Story with a Flashback Identify the chronological order of events in a story with flashbacks.
Lesson 3 Exception Questions in Stories with a Flashback Use textual evidence to answer exception questions about the sequence of events in a story with flashbacks.
- Students can use one of the graphic organizers (provided below in Teacher and Student Materials) to sequence important events from books read in Literature Groups.
- Students can use the index card strategy in the unit for books with flashbacks, time travel, or stories within a story.
- Students can use the graphic organizers to sequence important events from books that have flashbacks or time travel.
- Students can use the graphic organizers as a prewriting activity to help organize their thoughts before writing a fiction or nonfiction piece.
- Students can include flashbacks or stories within a story in their own writing. They can use the index card strategy to help organize their writing.
- Sequence events from a person’s life that is being examined in social studies. Students can use index cards to synthesize information from more than one source.