New K-8 Reading Passages
Here’s a selection of our favorite new non-fiction and literary K-8 reading comprehension passages. All passages are Lexile leveled and authentic.
Each one is paired with an intentionally crafted and research-based question set that:
- Provides scaffolding to build student comprehension of the main idea or theme, and enables students to make complex inferences
- Requires close reading of evidence in the text
- Models the questions that good readers should be asking themselves as they read
- Aligns to Common Core and state standards
Saucy by Nature
Mapping the West: The Journey of Lewis and Clark
Heat, Energy, and Bicycling in New York City
Will Human Life on Earth Come to an End
New York Buildings "Going Green"
Profile of an Actor
Fewer Americans are Now Going to Prisons, Highlighting a Shift in U.S. Policy
The Great Barrier Reef
"Seven Minutes of Terror," Eight Years of Ingenuity
The Cooling from the Warmth of Nature
Tag! You're Hit!
Traveling to Thailand
Crashing, Jumping, Falling
Dropping the Ball
– Teacher, New York City
– 3rd Grade Teacher, New York
– 5th Grade Teacher, Connecticut