How to Teach with the Reading Passages
Help Your Students Master the 9 Steps of Textual Analysis.
Textual analysis is the most effective way to use ReadWorks’ reading passages. Here’s how:
1. Read the title and any excerpts.
2. Look at the pictures and captions.
3. Read the first two sentences.
4. Stop and brainstorm what you know and what the text may be about.
5. Read and label the questions.
6. Read the passage.
7. Answer the questions.
8. Prove your answers.
9. Check your work.
For more on teaching reading passages, watch these short videos: